Hiring a Private Investigator
Hiring a private investigator is the best way of gathering information or intelligence, which may be required for legal, professional or personal reasons. Professional investigators offer a wide range of services to suit the needs of a diverse clientele. However, not every investigator is created equal… It is crucial to understand the criteria used to judge private investigators, to insure that you hire the best professional for your specific case assignment.
Learn the difference between private detectives and investigators.
Internet Private Investigator
Free Private Investigators
Private Investigation Agency
Private Detective Agency
Free Background Investigations
Criteria for Hiring a Private Investigator
There are many considerations when thinking about hiring a private detective, including:
* Are they licensed, bonded and insured? This is mandatory in some jurisdictions and optional in others, but is always an asset.
* Are they experienced in your specific type of assignment?
* Will they provide references upon request?
* Do they have a background which may be helpful to your specific assignment, such as former military or law enforcement history?
* Is the agency large and resourceful enough to handle the requirements of the case?
* Will the case require specialized equipment and if so, does the investigator own and use that particular equipment?
* Does the investigator belong to any trade organizations (private investigator associations) and are they registered with consumer protection agencies, such as the Better Business Bureau?
* Is there a formal contract to sign, which spells out the exact terms of the case assignment, including retainer costs and compensation?
* Will the investigator work diligently on your case in a timely manner and be able to meet your deadlines? Will they also contact you with regular updates on case progress?
* If necessary, will the investigator be able to provide supportive evidence to their conclusions which will be admissible in a court of law?
Hiring a Private Investigator Costs
Private detectives do not work cheaply. They will outline their fee structure for the client and will sometimes require either a substantial upfront retainer fee or may ask for regular payments to cover assignment related expenses (or both). Make sure to clarify all charges before signing a contract with any investigator and see if they will make their final fee based upon results achieved. After all, if the investigator can not find the information you desire, the full fee might be a bitter pill to swallow… All told, investigation services are generally an excellent value, since there is simply no substitute for the benefits which can be imparted through proper and professional investigation skills.
Hiring a Private Investigator Advice
Many potential clients rush into an agreement with the very first investigator they speak to about their case. There is no rush in most cases and consumers are encouraged to interview at least a few professional investigators before making a choice. Getting a feeling for more than one detective can certainly help you to pick the best person or agency for the job. Remember that most detectives specialize in particular facets of the investigative arts, so there is not typically a “best investigator” as much as there is a “best investigator for a particular job”. For more information about what you should consider when attempting to hire a private detective, contact a local private investigator association for advice and a possible referral.